Amazon’s mission is to be the world’s most customer-centric company. Part of this mission involves ensuring that brands on its platform are shielded from counterfeit and infringement violations. To achieve this, Amazon has introduced several brand protection programs and leverages advanced technology, including machine learning, to identify and eliminate counterfeit listings. Furthermore, Amazon collaborates with brands, law enforcement, and customers globally to tackle counterfeiters in their online marketplace.
Amazon Project Zero:
Amazon Project Zero combines Amazon’s cutting-edge technology with insights from brands to detect and eliminate counterfeit products. Here’s what it offers:
- Proactive Removal: By monitoring over 8 billion listing updates daily, Project Zero can proactively detect and remove suspected counterfeits.
- Self-service Counterfeit Removal: Brands can immediately remove counterfeit listings without reaching out to Amazon.
- Product Serialization: An optional feature, serialization allows brands to add unique codes to their products, ensuring that every shipped unit, whether by Amazon or other sellers, is authentic.
Eligibility Criteria for Project Zero:
Regardless of your selling relationship with Amazon, you must have:
- Have a Brand Registry account with a registered trademark and a Rights Owner role.
- Have submitted potential infringement reports through the Report a Violation tool, maintaining an acceptance rate of at least 90% over the past six months.
Amazon Transparency Program:
The Amazon Transparency Program ensures the authenticity of each product unit shipped. Key features include:
- Unique Codes: Secure codes identify individual units, ensuring authenticity and offering valuable supply chain insights.
- Universal Authenticity: Whether fulfilled by Amazon or a selling partner, products need valid Transparency codes for listing or shipping.
- Enhanced Customer Engagement: Post-purchase, brands can engage with customers through the Amazon Shopping app and the Transparency app. Customers can also scan the codes to confirm product authenticity.
Eligibility Criteria for Transparency:
To be eligible, brands must:
- Be enrolled in the Brand Registry with a government-registered trademark.
- Have a Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) for their product.
- Commit to applying unique Transparency codes to every manufactured unit, regardless of the sales location.
Transparency Enrolment Process:
- Choose the products you want to enroll in (all the active items would be preferred irrespective of top items since the bad actors can’t counterfeit any of the listings).
- Apply Transparency codes to your selected products.
- Transparency codes are scanned to ensure only authentic units are shipped.
- Customers can scan to confirm product authenticity, regardless of where they made their purchase.
- Engage with customers using product data, images, videos, promotions, and more.
In the dynamic landscape of e-commerce, counterfeiting has emerged as a significant concern for brands, often tarnishing reputations, and eroding consumer trust. Amazon’s endeavors, as showcased through initiatives like Project Zero and the Transparency Program, signify a bold commitment to preserving the integrity of the marketplace. These programs, backed by technology and data insights, create a fortress that not only responds to threats but also proactively eliminates them.
Brands navigating the vast waters of Amazon’s marketplace must recognize the value of such initiatives and leverage them to their advantage. By doing so, they can ensure their products’ authenticity, strengthen customer relationships, and maintain the hard-earned credibility of their brands. In a world where trust is paramount, these tools and programs become the linchpins for sustained success in the digital retail space.
A leading Amazon Marketing Agency like SalesDuo can be a one-stop solution to manage all aspects of the Amazon and eCommerce business. This makes it easy for retail brands of all sizes to focus on what matters most while we help them set up, manage and grow their business on multiple marketplaces across various markets. For more information, visit salesduo.com